Monday, July 13, 2009

The Innkeeper's Song - by Jim Pipkin

I have been a traveller, I've seen the far country,
Marched across the meadows, sailed upon the seas,
Faced the heedless slaughter in the madness of the line,
Saw the death of innocence, surprised when it was mine,

I have heard the seagulls where the ocean washes sand,
Known the heat of battle, felt the hot blood on my hand,
Heard the cries of wounded men just praying to be dead,
Followed many leaders, and was followed where I led,

When I found a lady love, it was mostly quick and cold,
We bartered for their services with cloth and food and gold,
When the army marched away some few might tag along,
And walk behind the baggage train, singing bawdy songs,

Now I'm old but hale enough, with many tales to tell,
My shares bought me this roadside inn which suits my temper well,
But when the weather's cold my wounds will ache again I fear,
I dull the pain with sleeping herbs, and mugs of barley-beer,

You say you're for the cavalry, the dashing cavaliers,
But horsemen too must fight on foot when fodder comes too dear,
So if by chance you find yourself dismounted in the line,
Stand always between two friends, with one eye out behind,

Take with you my hanger boy, t'was always at my side,
Some say she's a lucky blade, she's often saved my hide,
And if your Ma had lived I'm sure she'd cry to see you go,
As it is Godspeed my son, I've taught you all I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment