Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crusader's Song - Words and Arrangement by Sir Conn MacNeill

Chorus
I'm for the Holy Land sailing
To win back Jerusalem's walls
I'm for the Holy Land sailing
And i'll win a fortune or a martyr I'll fall

As my ship sails out I watch the far coastline
For leaving of kinsmen my heart is full pained
And I've traded all for a cross on my shoulder
No land for a third son, so I'm away

Chorus

As I look around me at the men on the benches
Their eyes are like mine so I know their heart's pain
I sing them a song of bravery and battle
And now their eyes shine liek their keen polished blades

Chorus

I followed King Richard to Sicily Island
For Johanna's dowry 'gainst Tancred prevailed
Now a fortune in silver and a new wife have Richard
And I've a swift horse and a new coat of mail

Chorus

At landfall in Cyprus they refused Barengaria
And Richard in anger has answered in steel
Now the crown of Cyprus he's added to England
And I've added knighthood's gold spurs to my heels

Chorus

I followed the Banner to battle at Acre
And held it aloft when its bearer was slain
Now we've given Richard a tower of the city
He's given me rank and a full captain's pay

Chorus

At Arsouf on the coastline we met with the Paymin
We won the battle though many were slain
And one was a Baron with lands that need tending
Now they are mine and I'll tend them well

Chorus

Now I sit in court over Christian and Muslim
And I've a strong keep and soldiers ten-score
King Richard's army has sailed back to England
And I've said farewell for I'll see them no more

For I'm in the Holy Land staying
To guard my own castle walls
I'm in the Holy Land staying
For I've won my fortune so farewell to all

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a translation of the song to share with my young history class

    ReplyDelete